Stress is something that can stem from a variety of situations– finances, body image, friendships, romantic relationships, family, politics, jobs, school– the list goes on and on. But one thing is certain– not matter where stress comes from, it sucks. I’m sure we’ve all been in a situation where our stress seems so overwhelming that whatever we need to tackle seems like a mountain we can’t climb. At times it can be hard to even know where to begin when stress weighs so heavily.
Here’s my method: Pamper, Plan, and Power Through.
When I am so stressed that I don’t even know where to start, I use this method to get me back on my feet. First, there’s pamper— do something relaxing, or something that you love. Here are my top 5 pampers:
- Yoga (Come on, we knew this was obvious): Even just stretching out helps my mood when I’m struggling, but I really do try to hit a 90-minute heated class when I’m stuck.
- Cook a Meal: I love cooking, so this is something that always makes me feel better. Depending on the breed of your stress, you can make a comforting meal, or step out of your comfort zone and cook something new. This will help you get your mind off whatever is bugging you
- Tea: This is one that is super inexpensive, but super helpful. A lot of the time, a tiny little caffeine boost can help your mood. I love teas with orange and lemon– they’re super uplifting. This also gives you a chance to just sit and breathe for a minute.
- Face Mask: I’m not saying you need to do a face mask to self-love, or to solve your problems. But, the fact of the matter is that when you’re stressed your skin reacts. Face masks help, and again, give you a chance to sit and breathe.
- Get Out of the House: There are lots of things that this can mean. This can mean going for a walk, seeing some friends, or going to your favorite cute little shop to browse.
The next step in the journey to kick stress’ butt is plan. When we’re stressed, it because we are afraid of the unknown, and are scared that we will not meet our goals. Planning is a direct way to help you get organized and meet your goals, while easing your mind about the process. There are 3 ways I plan:
- Make a List: Making a list makes most stressful situations seem much smaller. If it’s your finances you’re worried about, make a budget. If it’s your body image, make a list of healthy foods you don’t hate. If it’s school or job stress, make a list of your tasks and prioritize them. Once you have it down on paper, most things look less daunting.
- Program Your Phone Calendar: If you’re feeling flustered, program the essentials into your calendar. That way, you can look at every day from a logical standpoint and make your game plan for each day.
- Clean Your Space: I guess this is technically organization, but I consider this to be a part of my process. By cleaning your space, you’re allowing yourself a clean slate to work on. Clean space, clean mind.
The last step is the scariest: Power through. You’ve gotten ready by doing something you love, and you’ve made a plan. You can conquer whatever it is that’s bogging you down! By giving yourself the tools to succeed, you will feel instantly more confident in yourself.
Stress is something that everyone experiences, but some of us are blessed with a little more of it. If you can remind yourself that you’ve got it covered and make a plan early, you will make it through! Just breathe, use the three Ps, and conquer.