I feel as though I haven’t written a blog post in months, and yet it has only been 2 weeks! My new schedule has proven to be very busy, but very rewarding. I am keeping busy as both jobs, and have been on a pretty strict workout regimen My Current Workout Regimen (see my post for details!). However, I’M BACK and full of ideas.
This post is a little different from my usual yoga/beauty/wellness stuff, but it seems like you all like more personal posts from me, so I’m trying to deliver more of those! Perhaps this post will be a little bit random, but if you’re anything like me, grocery shopping is a highlight during the week. There’s nothing like having a freshly stocked fridge, and a brain full of meal ideas.
I thought I would just write a little about how I (we, Sam helps too) plan groceries for the week. I know this is a super “adult” post, but for those of you who are graduating soon or are still trying to figure out the grocery thing, this may help.
First thing’s first– Sam and I normally go grocery shopping once every other week. Usually this falls on the Saturday or Sunday after payday. Our top groceries stores are as follows:
- Harris Teeter– This is our current go-to. There are tons of organic and gluten-free options (more on this coming soon), while still having the junk food that you sometimes need. It’s also reasonably priced and close to where we live.
- Trader Joe’s– Trader Joe’s is forever a solid option, but the closest one to where we live is a 20-minute drive and the parking lot is the closest thing there is to hell on earth. We generally eat healthier and spend less when we shop here, but there aren’t many options as far as snacks and junk foods are concerned.
- Wegmans– Wegmans is pretty far from us as well, but it’s kind of a wonderland. The only issue is we always spend more on groceries here AND we over-indulge at the little food bar.
- Whole Foods– Again, a dream as far as organic and healthy options are concerned. This one is a total treat that we almost never do because it is still too expensive for us.
- Safeway– I don’t have a problem with Safeway itself, but the one near us is bad. We used to always go here because it is the closest to us, but we found that they were constantly out of staple products. In addition, we often had uncomfortable experiences in both the store and in the parking lot at this particular location.
Once we decide where we’re going (usually Harris Teeter or Trader Joe’s), I do DEEP RESEARCH on recipes we want to try. We have 6 or 7 dinner recipes on rotation (SIDE NOTE: Let me know if you want a post on our regular dinners!!), but for the remaining 3 or 4 (we go out to eat once a week, and one night a week is kind of a free-for-all), I look for new recipes to try. My favorite way to do this is honestly going on Buzzfeed and searching “dinner”– their recipes are usually delicious, unique, and easy to prepare.
As far as breakfast and lunch are concerned, they’re much simpler. For breakfast we buy the staples: eggs, milk, bacon, veggie sausage, yogurt, cereal, coconut milk, oats, fruit. For lunch, Sam usually has sandwiches or dinner leftovers paired with snacks. I usually meal prep a couple different lunches that are super easy (think chicken and veggies, rice and beans, etc.). These are much easier to do spontaneously so we don’t usually plan them out like we do with dinner.
Once I have chosen our meals and Sam approves them, I write down all the ingredients we will need to make them. I put them in a note in my phone so when we’re at the store I can easily access them. Then, we just have to go and grab the stuff we need!
I know this post was super out of the blue, but I know with summer coming, a lot of people are looking to shape up their eating habits. In addition, I know that graduation season is approaching and there are SOOOO many things I wish I knew before I graduated and started shopping for myself. Basically, Sam and I have both found that when we plan out our groceries, we spend LESS money and eat LESS junk.
As usual, thank you for reading, and thank you for being patient with me while I adjust to my new schedule. I have lots of things planned for this blog moving forward and I can’t wait to share them with you!!